Tuesday, July 8, 2008

This nice girl isn't rich

I’m finishing up Nice Girls Don’t Get Rich by Lois Frankel and it’s been an interesting look at what fiscal problems specifically plague women. I like the format of the book in that you start by taking a self-assessment and then each chapter addresses each of these questions sequentially. That way one can check out the areas that are most relevant to that individual. While I don’t always agree with everything she says- I came across another definition of wealth for my register.

“If you don’t already have some kind of retirement or investment account in your name with at least your age x $2,000 in it, get going fast.” P.170

While this obviously has some ceiling/floor effects issues here’s what it means:

25-years-old = need $50,000 in my own name (not in a joint account!)

Oouch!

No comments: